Sunday, August 12, 2018

Pokémon Go Community Day, 8/11/2018 and 8/12/2018

If Community Day for Pokémon Go couldn't be thought to get any more surprising, it just got really surprising for this month. First up is the schedule; instead of one Community Day this month, there are two Community Days - this month, it is held on both Saturday and Sunday over the course of a single weekend, in a way breaking the pattern of previous days. They are still counted as a single event, however, which is why I've chosen to summarize everything today.

The next surprising thing is the featured Pokémon for this month. The Pokémon for this month is Eevee, which is not obtained through 10 km Eggs (it comes out of 5 km ones), but could be considered a "pseudo-starter" due to its role in games like Mystery Dungeon and the upcoming Let's Go, Eevee! game due later this year; it could be considered a prelude for that. And that becomes yet another pattern broken. The bonuses are typical, being its Shiny form, and thus Shiny forms for all of its (current) evolved forms too, with triple Stardust and the Charged move Last Resort. What is not typical is that the move is obtained upon its capture within the three-hour capture window, but is also kept for its evolved forms, and the evolution window is much longer, lasting for one and a half days even after the event is over. Now it makes sense why this month's edition has two days: Eevee has plenty of evolved forms, and therefore there needs to be greater time to prepare.

Despite all of these changes, the local progression of the event remains the same as some of the previous iterations: spread Lure Modules, walk, and capture. On the first day, a good deal of my group did just that, and I got a great deal of Eevee with high CPs and quite a few Shiny ones; the weather boost helped in this regard, I must say. On the second day, a greater portion of my group did the same, but there was no weather boost, so everything was all over the place - including the Shiny forms, of which I only got one. Thus I was rather lucky on the first day and not as lucky on the second. We are all also lucky that the event proceeded smoothly without the need for extensions, although this month it could be said that the extension has already occurred, officially and with no problems to instigate it.

As for evolution, because of the way Eevee evolves in Pokémon Go, this becomes the first Community Day where I'm hesitant to evolve the Pokémon I've captured. Last Resort is a good, powerful move, but it doesn't do much justice to Eevee and its evolved forms. Nevertheless, I've already evolved an Eevee that I have as my buddy into Espeon, and I'm preparing one more to be evolved into Umbreon. They would at least complement the Espeon and Umbreon I already do have. I'll also be evolving one of my Shiny Eevee into one other form.

As I've said for last month's edition, Community Day seems to be something expansible, and this month has just proven that it is indeed so. One day being turned into two days, an expanded evolution window, and a Pokémon with a good bit of a starring role makes thing extra surprising and extra spectacular this time around. It's hard to expect that all future Community Days will be like this, but if the occasion is worthy enough, then it might just be befitting. I'm already looking forward to the possibilities.

One year ago: Cosplay: DANOBU 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.