Friday, August 31, 2018

Solidarity Making

In all my life, I've heard many terms - some good, some confusing, and some intriguing. The latest term that I've heard seems to be a mixture of all three. That term is "solidarity maker". This is a term that has rich and enigmatic meanings behind it. And of course, I wouldn't discuss it on this blog if I couldn't relate it with my adventures with Pokémon.

Let's start with the history and explanation of the term. This term was coined in 1962 by Herbert Feith, who used it to describe the characteristic of leaders that attempt to gain support through emotional connections and feelings. This is in contrast to "administrators", who gain support through technical proficiency - at least, this is how I understand this, as I'm not quite an expert in political science. Interestingly, I've researched the term, and it seems to apply to only really one context: Indonesia, as Feith had coined the term as part of his research on democracy in Indonesia; the term does not seem to apply outside that context. So it appears to be an English neologism about an Indonesian state of affairs. The goodness, confusion, and intrigue is now apparent.

As for the connection of this term to my Pokémon adventures, the application seems to be no different. I and some of my other fellows seem to have to be positioned to fulfill this role. During raids in Pokémon Go, for example, it seems that I have to attract those that raid separately, as if attempting to merge emotions and feelings. The national group of main series players seems to not be above and beyond this style of leadership... at least initially, until the more serious stuff needs to be carefully managed. This style of leadership seems to have a place, as does the other style, though this is still localized after all.

Though this term has a lot of political ideals behind it, there is a sense that this may also be needed beyond politics. For something as rich and broad as Pokémon, it may be necessary to get others involved through emotion as much as through technical aspects. Someone who is a "solidarity maker" seems to be suited to do this, and I seem to fit as such a person at certain times. As good, confusing, and intriguing this term seems to be, it may very well just work when tied to Pokémon.

One year ago: Reunions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.