Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas... in Fantasies

And once again, it's Christmas. In yesterday's post on a Pokémon version of a song characteristic to today, I noted that because of this year's circumstances, the situation for today this year might represent a way of going "back to the roots". With Pokémon in mind, perhaps I can illustrate my own: for me, Christmas is and has always been quite a fantasy, mostly because I can be considered a "second party" to it. I won't explain further about this latter perception, but I can explain further about the "fantasies".

Prior to the holiday people know today as Christmas, the Romans could be said to have had their own version of it. It's called Saturnalia, and it's a "harvest festival", seeing as how it's devoted to Saturn, the god of harvest. It's perhaps closer to Thanksgiving than it is to Christmas, but some of the spirit is notably the same, particularly the giving of gifts, something still integral to Christmas today. Most importantly, the festival occurs from December 17 to 23, within the week shy of modern Christmas. And it's also as glamorous and fantastic to people then as Christmas is to people now.

Based on what I've observed about Pokémon, I'm inclined to think that a Pokémon Christmas resembles a mix of the older tradition of Saturnalia and the newer tradition of modern Christmas. It's a time of real merriment for everyone, with shared values between the two traditions, some of which are noble and applies to all humanity and even the creatures of Pokémon. Considering this, the party illustrated by the Pokémon Christmas Bash album makes sense to a good amount. And while there isn't any merriment to speak of this year, that becomes a fantasy of its own until it becomes reality once again.

As for myself, I've had my fantasies with Christmas, and much of them do in fact involve or has involved Pokémon. Some of the best times during Christmas in past years were when they allowed me to get going on something related to Pokémon, such as getting the album above at the most perfect of occasions. Meanwhile, in recent times, the holiday event of Pokémon Go (more details on this year's soon) has allowed a more fantastic-realistic perception of Pokémon in my everyday life, and that was what happened today, which explains in part why this post took longer to be realized than older ones (see below).

This Christmas is one that is vastly different than the editions in prior years due to the current circumstances. But the fantasy aspect of Christmas is one that continues to persist, in which case for some people including me, it might just have Pokémon involved. I'm certain that given its predecessor as above and what people now have today, the fantasy aspect can coexist along with its reality. And if Pokémon can happen to be involved somehow, then that's a real fantasy to behold along with the reality.

Merry Christmas, whether in (Pokémon) fantasy or reality. 🎄

Three years ago: Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.