Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The Singapore Pokémon Center

Singapore is actually quite a special place for me. It was the first place abroad that I spent time in, and in the past, it often acted as a "gateway" for me to go to the U.S., the place where I got to know Pokémon for the first time. Nowadays, Singapore is even more special particularly for Pokémon fans, because it is the place of the Singapore Pokémon Center, the first one in East Asia that isn't temporary. While I haven't been there personally, I can still write a few things about it.

The Pokémon Center is located in Jewel Changi Airport, which is essentially the illustrious centerpiece of the airport of the same name. It is, however, located on the landside - the side of an airport connected to non-flight purposes - so I would only be able to visit after clearing the checks for entering, and even then a visit would probably be better under certain scenarios, which I will detail shortly. What is important is that the "Jewel", as it is called, is a spectacle of the airport, so the Pokémon Center being there befits the spectacle.

From what I've seen of the inside through photos, it doesn't seem to be too different from other Pokémon Centers, right down to the merchandise being sold. I can tell, however, that I would be right at home in it, much like for any other Pokémon Center. What I would purchase depends on my own budget, of course, as well as if I'm tasked to purchase anything for my friends, which I will likely be asked to, if I ever disclose that I plan to go. Lots of planning would perhaps be in order for any purchases here, both for my own and for others.

As for those scenarios, if I were to be visiting Singapore, then this would definitely be a top agenda. I could visit the place upon my arrival to Singapore, and then once again just before I'm about to leave through the airport, of course. What would probably be difficult is making a visit during transit, even when given a long transit window. This scenario too might involve some advanced planning. The place remains a must-visit, if at all possible.

Singapore is a "gateway" to many places because its airport is a hub for those places. It is also a destination of its own in many regards. That said, the Pokémon Center being located there effectively becomes its own "gateway" to a host of accessible Pokémon merchandise on this side of Asia, not to mention its own destination inside a destination. It's fair to say that the presence of the Pokémon Center makes things that are already special even more special, especially in the eyes of certain Pokémon fans like me.

One year ago: (Welcome Back to) Local EX Raid, 10/2/2018
Two years ago: Preparing for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.