Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Performance Critique: Project "Untitled" J-Karaoke

Speaking of musical performances, I can't forget that there was that other musical performance from the theme event on Sunday. That would of course be my participation in the singing competition, known here with the name "J-Karaoke". Indeed, it would only be my musical performance there, had the collaboration fallen out; originally, due to my participation here, it was not to happen, but since the band also had a participating colleague in the competition, the collaboration ended up happening. It's a strange turnout, which seems to apply here as well.

The song I chose to sing this time was "Chiisaki Mono", which is a fascinating song in itself, but that deserves a discussion in its own post. What's important now is that there are two versions of this song in Japanese and English, and I opted to sing the Japanese version with one change: the last chorus takes the English version's chorus instead, which is a nod to my attraction to Pokémon on "both sides of the pond". One reason why I chose this song was that there was a chance to perform it; this song is five and a half minutes long, and most of these competitions have a limit of five minutes. Because this one had a limit of eight, it was quite possible. Another reason why I chose this song is because it's by a distinctly female vocalist, not a female-emulating-a-male vocalist as the opening themes by Rica Matsumoto can be construed to be. It poses a real challenge for me as a male singer.

"koe GA kikoeru..." (capitals for high note emphasis)

I had intended to write up this critique at a somewhat later time, but I decided to do it now. The initial reason for delaying was because of the recording of the performance. I had asked a friend to assist me in recording this what-could-be-once-in-a-blue-moon performance, but that friend of mine became preoccupied at the time my performance was supposed to start; as a result, my friend failed to record almost half of the first verse, though the remainder of the performance was recorded; the critique is based on this recording, which I received in time. The only other recording of the performance I know of is the one recorded by a "master camera" by the event organizers, but as of today, that one has not been disclosed to me even by my own request. One intent of recording is certainly to sidestep this issue, but when what happened happens, it does become a bit unfortunate.

First place where timing was off: "sora o -ao geba-"

Unfortunately, I can also readily identify some minuses regarding this performance. One of them is that I mistimed (or rather, lost track of the timing) of two parts: near the beginning of the second chorus and midway through the final chorus, before the shift to the English portion. In both places, they were somewhat early; still, I more or less recovered from them. Another minus is that some transitions to higher notes sounded slightly strained, as in the first verse and the very final chorus, the latter of which should have served as the perfected finale.

There were also some pluses as well. Aside from the transition issues as above, my singing seems to be more or less on key. The audience seems to recognize this too, and I received quite audible cheers twice: after the first chorus and as the song came to a close. I also did something unique: while I stood for most of the performance, just before the bridge, I sat down to sing it, having realized what it meant beforehand regarding Ash and Pikachu. I seem to have done a pretty good job sitting down and singing that part.

"taisetsu na mono wa sugusoba ni aru sono koto ni kidzuita..."
Meaning: "I've realized the one most precious to me is beside me."

In the end, though, and as I've noted, I didn't win. Despite having performed this on point and with deep characterization, as the judges noted, they also said that the performance lacked technique. In these competitions, they say, technique matters as well as performance, not just plainly singing. For a guy who only had about three or so years of being in choir as the only form of vocal training, maybe in a sense they're right; one of the judges is very well-known in singing competitions and has been "through the paces", so to speak, additionally being very good friends with me and some of my other friends of mine.

And then, the audience cheered for the final time.

As I've noted, this performance has started to make me question competing in these competitions again. But even if the performance may not be stellar, it should still be superb thanks to what I can do with my singing; more to the fact, I can make them involve what I like most - Pokémon - and it has been given one accolade and resulted in a very amazing breakthrough. That said, they should continue. Likewise, this song should also be performed again if ever the chance should come; I've already thought of ways to augment this and wish to implement them at that point, whenever that will be and hopefully not once in a blue moon.

One year ago: Let's Rule the World, Together
Two years ago: Triplets and Pairs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.