Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Singing My Hearts Out: After One Year

A year ago, when physical events were still in full swing and as lively as can be, I made the effort to liven up one of them (see below) with the help of a band and sang my hearts out on stage, certainly with Pokémon in tow. I've already discussed the lead-in to the occasion in two different posts, one about the effort and another about the influences, and now that it's one year after that very wonderful occasion, I wish to reminisce it and discuss how it might shape up, especially once physical events return to allow that to happen.

Of course, what happened exactly one year ago wasn't the end of the story. A few short weeks later, I got to do the same thing at a different event with a different band that also influenced this effort. And that was practically it: for the rest of the time up until chaos broke out, there wasn't another chance to collaborate with the same two bands or even others, and by the time chaos broke out, it was too late. However, as consolation, the members of the latter band did occasionally contact me over a video call after that point, and that helps to ease all of our longings... or at least most of them, as the greatest longing is certainly performing and singing on stage. We're all waiting for that.

And for when that happens, I have a few visions in mind. Part of those visions relate to the songs I'd like to sing or even what the band would like me to sing. Obviously, if it concerns me, then Pokémon is of concern. The two songs I've sung with the two bands remain as obvious choices for anything that I want to sing or what the bands want me to sing on stage. Especially, if they know my command of English, they will likely want me to sing "Pokémon Theme" with them. But I'm certainly open to any Pokémon song, even the newly released "Acacia" or "GOTCHA!" song, and this is also a personal target in other ways as well.

Then, there is also the matter of the venue and the timing. The first time I sang, it was during a minor event and in the morning, which cannot exactly be said to be "prime time". The second time, it was in the evening, but the event was still minor; moreover, it happened on the "sleepy day" of the event. In either case, the audience was minimal. I'd love to be able to sing at a major event in front of a larger audience than ever, such as Daisuki! Japan (which could be said to have "missed the boat" of safety earlier this year, sadly); I have to say that I also "missed the boat" on being able to do so earlier, in a way. Next time, we ought not to miss it.

It's been a year since I made it on stage, with Pokémon, and at an event, but in a very different way - one that involves my vocal abilities and a great appreciation for themby others. By the same token, I have to appreciate the fact that this is one of the things that Pokémon has allowed me to do, along with my usual cosplay at those same events. At this point, it's still a waiting game for when the situation can allow both to occur comfortably. When that happens, it will once again be the time to sing my hearts out, perhaps like never before.

Three years ago: Late-Night Lure Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.