Friday, September 13, 2019

Personal Branding

A few weeks ago, I was involved in a discussion with a few people who are acquaintances of my family. One of the topics that was discussed then was the concept of "personal branding", which on the whole deals with how other people might or do perceive someone, especially for significant links. To some of them, it is regarded as an important concept. I've had time to think about it, and in some sense, it is important for me too as a Pokémon fan, cosplayer, and blogger - as well as for just about everything else.

Those perceptions that people have about other people are based on reputations and impressions. If they're good, then certainly people will be receptive to other people. This will then lead to good connections, especially professional ones. In general, good is good and begets goodness. It's something I have to and do realize to find success. In my case, if at all possible, I'd like it to involve Pokémon as well, something that has been instrumental and motivating all throughout my life.

One way that a personal brand could be discovered is through a simple Internet search. In order to discover mine, I put in my own name (the one you see here) into the search box; it's something I haven't done in a very long time. What came up the first were a handful of photographs of me in cosplay, as well as the link to my Cure WorldCosplay profile, which I haven't managed in a real long time as well. The rest of the first page is composed of other links to cosplay and a few things related to academics and other odd things. Interestingly, this blog didn't come up until the third page of results - linking to a post made rather early this year - which could indicate that it hasn't reached prominence, despite that I've posted for over two and a half years.

And so, at least based on this search, I've established that I have links to cosplay and Pokémon. But it could be a lot more Pokémon-oriented, in my view. This blog is already significant by itself; it could be one of the first few results. If I do start a YouTube channel to complement this blog, I'm rather certain it would be one of the first things that appear for the results; it also might help to propel this blog among those results. If this can lead to greater involvement of myself with Pokémon, then I'm certainly all for it.

Personal branding is a thing for anyone; it's about how people see other people. In that respect, it does seem very much apply to me as my social presence expands and becomes perceived by many people. Along with that presence, there is also the sense that I ought to tailor it a bit to reflect who I am. And who I am, among other things, is a great Pokémon fan. I believe it's one of the aspects of my "personal brand" that I need to show off and make it a part of my greater success.

One year ago: To Judge and Be Judged
Two years ago: Catering to Old and New Players

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.