Saturday, October 3, 2020

Gotcha Good, Like I Should

I'm gonna getcha while I gotcha in sight
I'm gonna getcha if it takes all night
You can betcha by the time I say "go," you'll never say "no"
I'm gonna getcha; it's a matter of fact
I'm gonna getcha, don'tcha worry 'bout that
You can bet your bottom dollar, in time you're gonna be mine
Just like I should - I'll getcha good
-- "I'm Gonna Getcha Good", Shania Twain

The word "gotcha" is a familiar word for those who are familiar with Pokémon. Half of the time, those who deal with Pokémon will likely be dealing with catching them, and when this is successful, this word becomes relevant; it is, after all, a condensed form of "got you" - as in, "I've got you". Personally, when I think of the word, I also think of this hit song by this artist. It also happened to come to my mind again with the recent "GOTCHA!" music video.

Many of the hit songs of this country and pop artist discuss about and pertain to love, and this one is no exception. It's a message for those playing "hard to get" that if the feelings are definite (and mutual), it's best to "enjoy the ride" together. And even if the feelings aren't there, then the togetherness may allow the feelings to appear, and that should satisfy both the people who seek love and to whom love is directed. In the end, there are promises of fun for everyone.

That said, the song could be construed to apply to Pokémon sensibilities. For any Pokémon Trainer who desires to pursue and catch certain Pokémon, whether common, uncommon, Shiny, Legendary, Mythical, and so on, the spirit may essentially be similar. And once caught, then the fun begins, as it may become a friend for life, a loyal partner or companion, a valiant fighter on the battlefield, and so on. There is further similarity between these and the "love" of the song.

With that concept, I'm inclined to create an AMV with the song, even if it may not measure up in quality to the one for the other song. I suppose that some scenes could feature things as they work out in Pokémon Go as something popular about Pokémon right now, while the rest could be as things work out in the other games and the anime. All of these, particularly the former, present a myriad of opportunities where the "gotcha good" ideals really apply.

As it stands, the word "gotcha" has a special place in Pokémon affairs. It's where the pursuit of capturing Pokémon ends and the pursuit of other great things begins. If anything, with this song, it is recognized that similar things can and should happen in the realm of love, and thus there is this song to encapsulate those feelings. Bringing it back to Pokémon, it's not only a pursuit that is necessary but also valuable, for the love of the creatures and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.