Friday, September 17, 2021

(Un)finished Business, Again

They say history repeats itself, and I find that to be true for some of my Pokémon experiences and happenings. Late in the first year that I started this blog, I detailed - embarrassingly - that I hadn't finished my copy of Pokémon Sun in the one year and more that I have it. Fast forward close to four years later, and regrettably, the same thing happened with my copy of Ultra Moon in the four years I have it, which in my view is even more embarrassing.

This time, this screen was delayed for nearly four years.

Evidently, my participation in the two VGC tournaments in the following year took a similarly hastily cobbled approach, which I already know is not a good approach, but I took it up anyway in the hope that there was a chance of making things work out. That didn't happen and I ended up struggling anyhow. It's a pitiful experience that I wouldn't wish to happen for any fan no matter what circumstances they're in.

Actually, this also becomes one of the reasons that I have deferred plans to obtain a Nintendo Switch, since I wanted to finish what I'd started on the 3DS before moving on. This is in addition to other reasons and constraints such as the lack of resources, pressure from other things, and of course the global situation that has persisted. With the completion of the main storyline, that should be one less reason to defer now.

Still, the deference of obtaining the Switch may be construed as buying time with actual preparation for the purchase and the readiness for that, and the completion of Ultra Moon that took four years indicates that I'm not fully ready for what awaits me there. I've in effect realized a friend's unpreparedness in dealing with a new console and a game that is present on it as my own unpreparedness on an older console.

In the same way as with four years ago, I've been thrust into the postgame, yet now it may be that I can afford to take a greater snoop into the postgame than I did with Sun, though that will have to be planned somehow. A Switch will eventually be in my future, though I cannot ascertain how and when that would be; the only thing I can ascertain is the essential nature of this to my further progressions in Pokémon.

While history does repeat itself for Pokémon or otherwise, and with or without me, there's a certain sense that embarrassment is to be avoided if and when that happens. Unfortunately, that couldn't be the case here, and this time it seems to be worse. In hindsight, with a new console at some point ahead, the situation can be mapped out to avoid embarrassment and hopefully make unfinished business finished once and for all.

Two years ago: At a Starry Night Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.