Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Longing for Pokémon Donuts

The local arm of an international donut chain with a certain renown last year introduced a collaborative special with Pokémon, and I had covered four editions or variations of them, two donuts at a time. In fact, it seems that those four donuts were the only ones, and the collaboration ended soon thereafter, with the donuts now gone. One year after the fact, now I feel a certain longing for them, for what have and could have been.

Considering the variations that I had tried, a couple of them were fairly standard, while the others tended toward radical. Regardless, they all followed the same formula, in that they were all filled donuts with an glaze topping featuring the images of specific Pokémon. It seems that things may have had to be this way, as regular hollow ring doughnuts might have needed to be considerably modified for this purpose, explaining their absence.

Speaking of absences, it is apparent that Charmander was somehow missed. It is obvious since I started with Bulbasaur and ended with Squirtle, and something was missing in the middle. Of course, this is in part me just desiring completion for completion's sake as is expected for a Pokémon fan, but regardless, it does remain desirable even though the donuts are now long gone with no chance of obtaining them again, if at all.

I still possess the upper part of the box that contained the last two donuts I obtained in order to highlight and review them, and it's still in relatively good condition, which I like especially as an art piece. Aside from the memory of the flavors and the reviews I've put up, this is the only other memorial piece that I possess, and the only tangible one at that. It may also need to be respected somehow by changing its form, though this will take some time.

For all their intended purposes, the Pokémon collaboration did lead to some wonderful-tasting donuts with a whimsical element, which I certainly appreciated, so much that I consider them deserving to be reviewed on my blog for any Pokémon fan who might find them as tasty as I have (affirmed) but cannot get their hands on them. It's now a longing that might be hard to satisfy Pokémon-wise, even if just a regular box of them could and would suffice.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'm not the only one having a weird, but slight craving for doughnuts in the back of our head. The local chain in my area rarely stocks their doughnuts anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't help that a recent episode of the Pokémon anime that I've watched also briefly includes donuts (real ones, not the so-called "jelly-filled" kind) enjoyed by the characters.

      Delete

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.