Saturday, July 4, 2020

A Few Words about U.S. (Us)

For those who have been reading my blog over the past four years, one might notice that I've always covered to honor, certainly with a Pokémon twist, the occasion of the independence day of my country of origin and current residence, which is Indonesia. However, I'm also partial to the ways of another country, which happens to be the United States; as I've noted in the very first post of this blog, it's where I had resided for a time, and most importantly, it was where I got to recognize Pokémon. Today, on the occasion of its independence, I would like to say a few (more) words about me, the country, and Pokémon.

First up, Pokémon made it big in the U.S. and it's still big there even today. The games are attractive, the anime is captivating, and one can stand to be in the good company of other fans who like everything about the games and the franchise in general, if one knows where to look and go. It has become ingrained in popular media and among gamers, even if most of that was during the early days of the game series and franchise. Still, it has been a continued home for competitions involving the games (though not this year) and the special event of Pokémon Go Fest, and a Pokémon Center was opened in New York. Given the state of things, Pokémon stands to remain popular there; it's a "second home", after Japan.

As for me, I have to say that I'm grateful for having had the opportunity to be there and be introduced to Pokémon. It's been a long time since the first time I was introduced to the games, and it's a memory that remains vivid in my mind. In the years that I've left, I've seen no opportunity where I am now that would allow for the same way I was introduced to Pokémon. In other words, it was effectively only by being there that I and Pokémon were united. I don't know what to say had I not gone to the U.S. and become exposed to Pokémon. I might have a different life today if that wasn't the case. By going to the U.S., things worked out well in my favor for today.

Being that I used to reside there, I was introduced not only to Pokémon, but also the ways of life there. I've met lots of people that helped me along to become the way I am now, and in a way, some of them embody the same spirits of certain Pokémon characters. It may be that if Pokémon actually existed was dropped in, one would not notice the difference. Recently, there has been a lot of flak involving the (negative) things that have happened there, but I'm sure this is not the way things truly are and should be, based on what I've been taught. I'm certain that positivity will stamp out negativity, just like it often does in the world of Pokémon.

Due to current conditions, both personal and worldly, I am not certain that I will have the opportunity to revisit and especially take my interest with Pokémon to new heights there, at least not anytime soon. However, I'm glad that Pokémon made it big there, and I'm even more glad that I became a recipient of the effects of that. I'm sure the impact on other fans there is quite similar. They've made the effort to let Pokémon thrive, and now they should thrive with the greatest positivity possible with what they have - a little (or a lot of) Pokémon can't hurt either.

To all my American friends and readers, happy independence day - the Fourth of July.

One year ago: Welcome to the Jungle
Three years ago: The Subdued Hometown Themes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.