Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Consideration of Gaming Journalism

This blog has been going on for over four years, and I think I've got a good thing going. However, I think it can and should lead to even better things. One of them is something that recently came to my attention, and based on the title of this post, that would be something called "gaming journalism". Being that Pokémon is to a good extent about games, this would be fitting for me and well within my capabilities. As with many things major and minor that can be possibly related to Pokémon, it needs to be considered to some extents, particularly with a post on this blog.

I first heard of the term through one of my main series fellows in the respective group. We were discussing the views and disclosures of another person in the group, and the term and topic came up for what would be a good way for the person to channel those views and disclosures. While the other person has dismissed the topic with the remark that it might be risky for the person, I found the topic to be relevant enough and we discussed it separately. An important result of that discussion is that we agree that a blog is a good stepping stone for this endeavor of interest.

Another result of that discussion is that gaming journalism befits even so-called "niche" games that are outside the mainstream. I've already discussed the "mainstream" quality of Pokémon in a different post and that continues to apply regardless of its perception by different people, particularly in my case. But being that I also play certain game genres (adventure and puzzle), these can have a place in gaming journalism, and I can incorporate them as well. These would be outside of my Pokémon endeavors, but I don't see why they can't have a certain focus as well in addition to Pokémon.

Now, journalism is often associated with its products, and therefore a discussion on products of journalism is relevant with this topic. As they stand, blog posts may or may not be considered products of journalism, most likely due to their personal content - they're akin to an "op-ed" piece in that case. The challenge for me to step up my journalism "game" in this regard is to be able to write more objectively about the games that I play, including Pokémon. That I already do quite a bit on some of the posts on this blog, but more needs to be done for something along the lines of true journalism.

"Gaming journalism" definitely piques my interest, given this blog and how languages and writing are intertwined within my life. It would also allow me to work in games that I play, especially Pokémon as my interest and the subject of this blog. To some extent, it could be considered to be something that I'm already doing with this blog, but not all the time. But if anything, this blog can be an indication that I may (and should) be able to step up to that with all that I have on hand and possibly more as time goes on. That would have the potential as another good thing that would get going.

One year ago: Lost Player Ties
Two years ago: The False Gods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.