Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Resets and Redos

I'm in the middle of creating something Pokémon-related which is (or should be) spectacular, but I've found that I need to take a step back, and it's a big one that undoes efforts that I've put in over several hours. Such an occurrence can happen in the main series games as well should one forget to save before an important event and the irreversible happens, though mitigated if the save happened. So it seems that resets and redos are part of Pokémon as well.

In the main series of games, before a soft-reset function was implemented, if the irreversible happened, one needed to turn off the console and turn it back on to reset. From at least the sixth generation games, a soft-reset function was implemented: to soft-reset the game, press the L + R + Start buttons at the same time. This takes players back to the title sequence and the main menu as if the console had been turned off and on again, without the hassle of doing so; all unsaved progress is lost and need to be redone. This is incredibly useful when attempting to catch Legendary Pokémon and/or ones with certain attributes, where the irreversible (no longer being able to catch them) is a real possibility.

I've used this to my advantage in the first situation as every now and then I lapse and make a mistake, resulting in the irreversible. Some of my friends have used this to catch Shiny Legendaries, though this is a hard proposition with its low chances, or battle-ready ones, which is more practical but still hard. Recently, though, I've used this function for a different purpose, but not far off from its intent; I use it to "exit to the main menu" to make sure that I don't fiddle after I save the game with the intent of finishing play. In a way, I'm anticipating a reset that could happen if I continued playing and something happened that required one.

Resetting and redoing are thus inevitable for the main series of Pokémon games. The finicky nature of catching Pokémon may present a few challenges of its own, and sometimes the best course is to just reset and redo the catch until properly done; it is fortunate that this has been made easier with a distinct function. And now I've got to execute this function in real life for something else Pokémon until I'm satisfied with my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.