Saturday, February 5, 2022

The Little Intricacies of PvP

A few days ago, I met up with a friend and one of my raid group fellows, who is also a literal master of Pokémon Go PvP and even a member of a Silph Arena Faction of my region - I'll let readers figure out who that might be. As one might expect, I came for a few pointers in PvP and the possibility of putting those pointers into practice in order to improve my game, however slight it may be. What I learned from my friend (aside from teambuilding, which is an effort unto itself) is that PvP in Pokémon Go has a few little intricacies that one might not be aware of - as with myself, even after years of play - and it's a good thing to pay attention to as many of those intricacies as possible.

One of those intricacies is the counting of the number of "turns" it takes for a given Fast Move to fill up certain Charged Moves. Though PvP in Pokémon Go is an action-based affair, even at their fastest, Charged Moves still fill up gradually in a distinctly gradated manner; these are based on the "turns" of the moves. One can count them for their own Pokémon, and most importantly do the same for opposing Pokémon to try to determine what Charged Move the opponent may use and therefore whether to deploy a shield or not. In a few cases, doing this ought to give at least a slight edge and allow effective usage of the best moves possible, as in my case when I met my friend; I had to change out some moves with TMs, and the results showed themselves in battle.

Another intricacy is to not let up tapping until a battle has been fully conclusively determined. Again, PvP is action-based, and there is such a thing as "inaction" where one side does not respond, much like the "AFK" in MOBA (hence the next-door game Pokémon Unite). This leads to other peculiarities and intricacies such as who gets to attack first when both have Charged Moves available (the "priority"), extra energy from prior attacks, and when to go for Charged Moves and when to defer using them for extra energy - what my friend refers to as "farming". For the primary intricacy and everything else related, persistent tapping as well as smart tapping are the strategies that would resolve issues related to the intricacy.

One last intricacy is to watch out for surprises that unravel a team; in real PvP parlance, this is what would be known as "corebreakers". One would really have to know how to deal with them given the teams they have, especially at their disposal and when it's not possible to invest in or conceive new teams. This also goes back to teambuilding, although as my friend showed me, good strategies can still be obtained regardless; it also helps to know when one has a good "lead" (the first Pokémon sent out) and who to "pivot" to just in case. In all cases, the basics of Pokémon Go and Pokémon in general still apply.

After all the time I've spent with PvP in Pokémon Go, to know about and how to deal with these little intricacies is still eye-opening to some extent - especially with the aid of a friend - though it's a lot to take in, even for little old me. Even with my up and down results, PvP is still representative of my best mainstream competitive Pokémon efforts; to improve on it, even just a little bit, ought to improve my competitive standing and possibly lead to further advancements in this dynamic area of Pokémon battling.

Two years ago: It's (All) About Time
Five years ago: Itasha Revisited

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.