Tuesday, September 12, 2023

A Win for the Ages

Spoiler warning: Major plot or ending details follow.
Well, for those who follow the Pokémon anime, an important milestone - or to be more precise, achievement - was reached: Ash won the final match of the Masters 8 Tournament of the World Coronation Series, defeating (and dethroning) the previously undefeated champion, Leon. It's a spectacular win - I won't discuss how it was achieved, and I believe viewers should find out for themselves - and it's (now) the most spectacular of all time. As such, I have taken to consider it "a win for the ages", as stated in the title of this post.

Those who follow only the current saga ("World Saga") of the anime might consider it as only something of the "now", but those who are longtime fans like me will surely find this significant. After all previous developments, this is the one that matters the most not only in character (for the one concerned) but also out of character (for the anime itself). And the anime has gone on for a long time, almost as old as Pokémon itself. This fact reaffirms the victory as being important for its development up to this point in time.

Fittingly, the victory is a culmination of what has transpired throughout the saga, from the meeting of Ash and Goh, their appointment as joint research fellows of Professor Cerise, and their intertwining paths with their research tasks along with the World Coronation Series and Project Mew respectively. Such was the intertwining that the two even had a climax of their own just before the final match transpired - a "culmination" of sorts, at least by some perceptions. But indeed, the Ash vs. Leon battle is rightfully the highlight of it all.

And what does the winner think?

Me: Remember, don't say too much. I want others to see with their own eyes.

Ash: It was unbelievable! I couldn't do it without the help of all my Pokémon.

Pikachu: Pika pika! ["Certainly!"]

Goh: I didn't get to see it live, but I can tell it was very awesome.

Me: I'm sure if you could, you'd say to others to find out how it went down for themselves.

Goh: Oh, absolutely! Even if you had to miss out like me with my Project Mew deal at that time.

Ash: I can't say anything else other than... well, I just can't say much more. Just find out, trust me.

Pikachu: Chu! ["Yeah!"]

Goh: By the way, this was the thing that you were hinting at when we talked about "blocks", wasn't it?

Me: Indeed it was.

Ash: Well, at least we got that out of the way!

Pikachu: Pika pika chu. ["What a relief."]

Me: Anyhow, good stuff.

Actually, this post is something that has been in the works for a few years, I have to say. It was to be written with something else in mind, but... it's something I haven't come to terms with. Speaking of "not coming to terms" and more about "culmination", the fallout of this culmination leads to another "culmination" - in a manner of speaking - and even now, it's not only me who hasn't come to terms; in fact, some other fans haven't either. And its scope is totally different even with it being all the same... and likewise, it's something for later.

So, with the "culmination" of this post, so to speak, I can only express heartfelt congratulations for this very important outcome. It is a major victory for a character who has been majorly involved in the Pokémon anime, and it's very much a "shot heard 'round the world" for everyone involved, including loyal fans. More than that, it is also something reflective of the past, present, and future, and rightfully, it's "a win for the ages" for the concern of the Pokémon anime and Pokémon itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.