Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Why Do I Still Play Pokémon Go?

My previous discussion of how my return to playing Pokémon Go is the way it is also has another indication: that I'm still playing Pokémon Go in the midst of its turbulence. This does lead to an important question regarding that very matter, which has been clearly stated in the title of this post. I'm actually inspired to make this post by someone else answering this exact same question and giving the reasons for the answer - and now it seems to be my turn to do so. And while that previous discussion may be considered to provide some of those reasons, now I'd like to give a few others.

One reason is that I consider Pokémon Go to have an element of realism and/or immersion: it's the closest thing I can have right now to being in the Pokémon world, and it takes no mental or spiritual tricks - just a smartphone takes me there. I (and others) can chase after Pokémon and have a thrilling time about it, just like when Kecleon first appeared. I can capture and battle with Pokémon in real time, and that's satisfyingly real, even if life aspects are ignored - though they can be made up through Pokémon facets less tied to the games. As far as I'm concerned, the immersion and realism is genuine and unique.

I also consider Pokémon Go to have the best sense of accessibility for Pokémon, whether to understand it or just to get into it. Its "free to start" nature only helps in this regard; it's the simplest and most bare-bones form of Pokémon that parallels where it began, the main series games. In fact, I would advocate someone who knows nothing about Pokémon to pick up Pokémon Go to ease the explanation of the pertinent details that make Pokémon what it is, and after that point, the hope is that they'll develop the appreciation. Even I, who has been a long-time fan, think the simplicity is warranted even for myself. That translates into a very good form of accessibility.

Lastly, I still play because I feel that doing so regardless would support Pokémon, not so much Niantic as the developer, even though they can and should benefit as well. It's been known that a lot of the turbulence has been in part caused by, again, the antics of Niantic, if the support that I provide ultimately goes to Pokémon, then I feel that I am validated nonetheless. I still have to abide by good conduct in providing support, but that should come easily with good faith. This is also similar to other Pokémon games I play whose developers aren't Game Freak:  I'm playing a Pokémon game, not so much something belongs to the developer even though it still is.

Even with all the troubles that the game may possess presently, I still find it of some value to play Pokémon Go. It still has that quality of realism and accessibility that is part of why I'm sure many people were attracted to it in its early days, and above all else, it's still a Pokémon game, part of a body of many games of this franchise. With all that and the significant progress I've made in the game, the natural option is to continue, perhaps also to ensure that the game continues as intended and maybe - just maybe - that its turbulence will soon pass and enjoyment continues to reign.

One year ago: Pelipper's Carry-Ons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.