Friday, February 21, 2020

Hobby as a Partner

Recently, I heard a fascinating statement about hobbies, the things that people like me do for fun. According to the statement, one should treat a hobby (or hobbies, for those who have more than one) like one treats a partner. It's a fascinating statement, because it attributes a human quality to something that is considered inanimate. And yet, there might be some truth to this, in particular for those of my own, which likely involve Pokémon in some form.

When one treats a partner, one should provide love and affection in some way. One should be able to care and give attention. (With that in mind, it seems to be another adjunct to the day of love and affection from last week.) In consideration of this viewpoint, for a hobby, this would mean being able to respond to its needs in the best possible way that would satisfy the hobbyist and the hobby. That would be like me playing the Pokémon games to the greatest extent and enjoying other related things as much as possible. So long as this seems reasonable, then one has become a good partner; at least this is what I strive for.

In the discussion of partners, as well as hobbies with things that are of Japanese origin, it's hard not to discuss the notion of "waifu", which I've also discussed a few times on this blog in different contexts. I still don't consider myself to possess one, and to stave off criticism, I wouldn't say my hobby is one either; it might in some sense "go off the deep end" of the above analogy, though it is seemingly in the same vein. Regardless, for people who like Pokémon and possess Pokémon waifu, their hobbies involving them might seem an apparent proxy.

As for this relationship translating to real ones, there might be a possibility, though I wouldn't affirm it for myself or others. Still, love, affection, care, and attention are equally applicable to real people as they are applicable otherwise, so the hobby relationship might be thought of as "practice for the real thing". They remain as things that I observe within and around Pokémon as the thing that is involved in my hobbies and beyond. I'd like to think that I can nurture it further as part of my life and even contribute to its greater presence.

Regarding that statement, I'd say there really is some value to it. There is something in the treatment of hobbies like (human) partners in that one has to show devotion to achieve at least some good results. Based on what has happened and what I've covered on this blog, I'd like to think I've done at least some of that, particularly with Pokémon involved. As inanimate as my hobbies with them are, maybe the feelings are lively and animated.

One year ago: Even More LINE Pokémon Stickers
Two years ago: Quirky Raids
Three years ago: Secret Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.