Saturday, June 26, 2021

On Becoming an Early Adopter

The term "early adopter" is a unique one. It describes people who accept and make use of new things as they are developed and available. The term is often thrown around in technology, where it is most applicable, but can be applied to other things outside the field. In the context of this blog, it is certain that the discussion involves Pokémon, and for that, there is some relevance for the term, including for my personal experiences as well as those of others that show how the term plays out.

For example, I'm actually an "early adopter" of the area where I currently live, in that I am, or was, one of the first people to take up residence (even, reserve a space) in the area. It is nice and feels special to be able to do so, but it's not without its downsides. I've had to make sure that the place I live in fulfills my needs and is free of problems, which became evident even almost immediately after I took up residence. Even now, there are still a few remnant issues, some of which are due to my special status as an "early adopter", that ought to be resolved to improve my living conditions and especially my Pokémon life.

Moving into Pokémon as the focus of this blog, relative to when Pokémon first came out - both in English and the original Japanese - I'm not really an "early adopter", as I followed after a number of gamers had already done so. However, relative to the history of Pokémon up to today, I may be considered an "early adopter" since I did start by playing the first-generation games before they were much added on and improved in later generations. As a result, I'm  likewise exposed to the limitations (including the species count) of Pokémon before they were fixed, increased, or removed in future games.

Becoming an "early adopter" is also relevant to the current console of choice for Pokémon gamers, being the Nintendo Switch. Some gamers, including those of Pokémon, also became those of the Switch, predicting that it would potentially move onto the console, which was eventually proven true. The "early adopters" are likely blessed by this fact, but at the same time they may also be cursed by the limitations of early models of the Switch, and it has since then been improved. In that sense, I would be blessed to be able to obtain a more improved version instead of being stuck with a (limited) old version.

All three situations above illustrate, in some way, a frequently cited tenet for "early adopters": don't become one. The reasoning behind this tenet is that doing so exposes one to quirks, downsides, limitations, and so on that puts one at a disadvantage or inconvenience. That is quite true given the experiences above, though there are also blessings to becoming an "early adopter", also partly as above. My experience in being attracted early on has manifested in the attraction that I still have for it, which is certainly proven by this blog and all the things I do for and with Pokémon. That much is a concession.

There's nothing wrong with creating new technologies and things, and making use of them from the get-go, becoming an "early adopter" in the process. Even so, one may have to consider carefully the implications and repercussions of becoming one, some of which may be unsavory. Still, there may be good takeaways, such as becoming a Pokémon gamer for me and others being able to play more Pokémon games. The price to pay of becoming an "early adopter" may just manifest itself in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.