Friday, May 27, 2022

Living in the "City on the Trees"

One of the places that intrigues me the most in the Hoenn region is Fortree City. In its depiction, it is shown as a city where its inhabitants live in treehouses. These treehouses are connected to others, and they may also be connected to the ground to the places that aren't in the trees, as well as to allow people in the ground to get to places in the trees. It seems like a neat place to live for people and Pokémon alike, not to mention myself and by my own regard. Moreover, it's a place I associate with my experiences even outside of Pokémon.

The place that I currently live in has two stories, and I spend a lot of time on the upper story - it is my workplace, activity space, and "den", so to speak. Furthermore, it is close to the treeline of surrounding trees - and there's quite a few - making it feel like I'm living in or amongst the trees. Even so, this is not the first time I've lived in a high place or one with a space that is located higher up. I've lived in such places before, though they were not exactly close to trees or the treeline. Still, all of them evoke the way that Fortree City is, though especially more so now with my current place.

Speaking of places, there are some of them some distance away that are characteristic of their raised houses. There, the houses are not located in trees, but they are made of wood, which makes them "tree houses" in a sort of way. I've actually never been to these places, but I know some friends who are from them, and I consider them lucky to possess such structures; others, meanwhile, have had the chance to visit them. I may very well have to set aside some time (eventually) to be able to visit those places, even though they may not be on my pertinent agenda. Regardless, they could be considered the real versions of Fortree City, even if they're not quite close enough.

Cities in trees actually remind me of another imagined place in the Myst series, called Channelwood. The most characteristic feature of the place is a treehouse network, exactly like Fortree City. According to its lore, it was the place where a race of sentient beings and surviving humans lived together. Though perhaps not on the scale of a "city", the community still does mimic a city somewhat. One may have to wonder how the inspirations work out between the real world (Hoenn is based on Kyushu) and this imagined place that predates Fortree City by several years.

As it stands, though, I'm still partial to the wonder that is Fortree City. The people aspect, the place aspect, and the Pokémon aspect all combine to make a place that is still personally intriguing and memorable. Conceptually, it might not be as unique as real-world examples or other imagined places, but it's still one of the places that is defining of Hoenn, the region that it hails from. It might just be one of the places in the Pokémon world where I could stand to live and be one with the creatures.

One year ago: Electrify Your Power
Two years ago: Coffee in My Coffers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.