Friday, May 20, 2022

BJ Podcast: The Varied Nature of Japanese Fans

Here's something long overdue: nearly three years ago, I became involved as a guest in a podcast by and with a few of my friends. I intended to make an overview of it at some point in time... but then time got away from me just like the circumstances that warranted its recording, and I hadn't gotten to make it since. Now, with a good time at hand, I can finally make that overview of the episode I was featured in. I have to say, however, that the title of this podcast and this episode is partially unsavory in at least one language, but overall, the podcast itself can be summarized as "Talking About Japanese Fandoms" with the episode title as present in the title of this post.

For this episode, the intent is to discuss the ways of different Japanese fans and how we reflect on that, being that we encounter them all the time in (in-person) events and on social media, a primary interest for all of us. This episode actually begins (and later, ends) with "Mezase Pokémon Master" playing, since it's obvious I'm in it and I'm linked to Pokémon. The other featured person, the YouTuber I mentioned, goes by the name Candra Salay, whose channel can be seen here. Since all of us had also recently gone to a previous out-of-town event, we also put our thoughts on that event before heading into the main topic.

The "Japanese fans" who we refer to go by two terms, one of which I am not too fond of and don't feel that it applies to me, and the other term being "otaku", which I've explained separately in a related term that is further linked to Pokémon, which I even mentioned as we talked. We all discussed the characteristics that we perceive to be applicable to both terms, including our experiences - specific ones with different things - and how we started to appreciate this side of our lives. For me personally, I brought up how it relates to me and Pokémon, citing specific examples like the games that I've played.

Support is also a big thing for us, and we also mentioned how we received that from all around. Meanwhile, Japanese fans tend to have a specific regard or perception about them, and we just had to deal with this issue based on what we've experienced, including making a call to certain fans with a specific trait, which unfortunately some Pokémon fans have. Because this might become a tendency for many fans in general, especially on social media, we had to address our respective treatments of social media and how users on any such platform should ideally behave; I cited my blog for this specific purpose.

As the podcast episode neared its end, we discussed our social media tendencies, in particular as three "social media warriors", as well as the influence of Japanese culture on what we do. On the latter, again for me personally, I felt that Pokémon has as much to do with Japanese culture as an influence, which I just had to say. Our influences, in fact, also go back (or even transfer over) to what we do on social media, so it may be construed that we got good things going with what we like, especially in communicating with other people; I ended by remarking on how Pokémon got me to explore things, which should apply even in a broader sense. 

It's actually funny that ever since this episode, I've been in a different podcast of my own (in part) and I've started that long-awaited YouTube channel. Still, neither has strayed far from my Pokémon interests, just like how this blog also has maintained its course on Pokémon. By its Japanese origins, it in a way becomes an affirmation that I am a Japanese fan in some ways, who by the podcast episode are established to be varied in nature. That's important in many ways, and is something that deserves to be promoted on social media in whatever form.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.