Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Cosplay: Utsuru 9 x Idol Stage

Goh: Oh, it was Utsuru on Saturday.

Ash: And Sunday too! 

Me: Yup. Many, many years ago, this convention was held on the two days of a weekend, Saturday and Sunday, before JCD changed it to just one day. It seems they wanted to go back to their roots and do it just like then.

Ash: But the title is a bit different too this time.

Pikachu: Chu pika pika. ["That's true."]

Me: It seems they also wanted to highlight dance groups as the primary content for this edition.

Goh: I see that. I got the schedule for both days and there were a few of those. Did you see them?

Ash: A few - some on Sunday and a little bit of what I could see on Saturday.

Goh: By the way, how did you manage to get in on that day?

Ash: I didn't. I just hung around outside. 

Me: That was my directive, by the way. It was in part to keep spending low - and of course, there was Community Day on that day.

Ash: Right. I saw a bit in the morning and after Community Day when I went back.

Goh: It does make sense to not go in when you only spend just a little time on that day.

Ash: But on Sunday I was there the whole time.

Goh: OK, then, that's worth paying.

Me: Sure enough, to support the organizers and all.

Goh: Well, we know that there are community booths and food stands as usual - so how were they?

Ash: I tried food from a stand I've never tried, and it was great! The rest were just the usual helpings. Oh, and I met friends of our friend all over the community booths.

Me: They're a diverse lot - not necessarily involved in Pokémon, but they have been at one point or another.

Goh: What were the highlights of this weekend? There had to be something special.

Ash: Yeah! I found the communities were judging each other and trying to win votes from people who came.

Goh: A competition! I'd love to know the results.

Ash: The winners were two communities with a couple of our friend's friends in it.

Goh: Nice! Talking about competitions, there must have been a character parade.

Ash: Of course, and I was in it.

Pikachu: Pika pika chu. ["Like always."]

Me: I have to interject and say that I could have you be registered early on for that, but I had other things to worry about. And a couple of the requirements for that were big.

Ash: No worries - I could get in then and there.

Me: Luckily.

Ash: But I didn't win. Four judges and only four prizes for so many characters.

Goh: I saw that coming.

Ash: And it all was like last year too. 

Goh: Let's move on - how about other entertainment, besides the obvious?

Ash: Some of the communities had performances or showed off things. And there were a couple of bands too, and the karaoke group on both days.

Goh: So, the usual stuff.

Me: I actually considered having you try to register as a performer or a guest character... but then those had even bigger requirements.

Goh: Than for the character parade?

Me: Indeed. That would have been more than the usual.

Goh: We've been talking about the usual stuff... but maybe there were unusual stuff too.

Ash: There were. One of the characters in the character parade almost passed out after leaving the stage. He was a masked one.

Goh: Oh no! Hopefully he's OK.

Ash: I think he was, after everything ended.

Pikachu: Pi pika... ["Only hope so..."]

Me: Well, this could be a lesson for others, even me.

Ash: And then when I went to meet a friend, something happened on the way, and I got confused about it. Really sorry about that! 

Goh: OK, that's really unusual.

Ash: I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the day. 

Me: I'll just have to think about it some more - but we don't have to say much more. It's mine to deal with now.

Goh: Hmm, let's just wrap it up, then. So, a lot of the usual with a bit of the unusual.

Me: It seems they realized the theming. 

Goh: Which would be...

Me: "The (most) usual convention in the usual place."

Ash: I want to say I disagree a bit with that - even with what we went through.

Me: You know, I think you have a point. It's never the usual with us covering it - and then there were the additional Pokémon aspects like Community Day on the first day. 

Goh: Haha, so we're unusual people too?

Ash: What do you think?

Pikachu: Pi? ["Thoughts?"]

Me: I guess it all depends on the (un)usual points of view that the convention brings along, as with this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.