Saturday, March 20, 2021

All I Can Do, with You

Sometimes I wonder if it'll ever end
You get so mad at me when I go out with my friends
Sometimes you're crazy then you wonder why
I'm such a baby, yeah, the ______ make me cry
Well there's nothing I can do
I only wanna be with you
You can call me your fool
I only wanna be with you...
-- "Only Wanna Be with You"

From the Post Malone concert, the song that I keep addressing is this song. In relation to Post Malone, this song is subtitled as the "P25 Version" because it was specially sung or commissioned as such for this big anniversary. Yet behind the special quality of this song for this very anniversary, there's a certain background to it, especially personally for me. And all of that needs to be discussed somehow.

This song is actually a cover: the original song is by Hootie and the Blowfish. That is one reason why I didn't include the artist in the lyric excerpt above as I usually do for songs. Another reason, as well as for why the excerpt above also includes a "blank", is that the original and the cover differ in lyrics in that part - the original has "dolphins" while the cover has "cowboys", both of which can be construed as references to sports teams particular to either artist. If it were me personally, because of my local area, I would put "lions"... but that's already tending to a digression.

I first heard this song (the original) on the radio years and years ago, though I never cared too much for it, nor did I ever identify its artist or title. It was only because of the Post Malone concert (and of course, the Pokémon anniversary) that I finally identified the title and then subsequently the artists for the purpose of becoming acquainted with this song. As for the original artist - being the above band - the vocalists have given the approval for this cover, which includes Pokémon twists, the most notable being the inclusion of the intro melody of the Cianwood City theme.

The song was first released in 1994, years before Pokémon came into being. Even so, it is entirely possible that some Pokémon fans might have been doing something with Pokémon while listening to the song, likely playing one of the games. Others have also construed the song's lyrics as being emblematic of the relationship between Ash and Pikachu, and I won't doubt that - the dynamics of the relationship are sometimes like the lyrics suggest, being a little wild, but the two remain a dynamic pair no matter what. I'm sure this is exactly what the others realize as well.

Post Malone cannot really take full credit for this song, but the song itself is a nice idea for the big Pokémon anniversary, and the twists included for just that cements the idea. In the end, it seems that many Pokémon fans, including me, want to be with Pokémon for as long as possible if not always, and that's all they can do. Whether one is a fool or not for that may just remain in the eyes of the beholder.

One year ago: Sad Music from Kanto
Two years ago: A Girl and a Fan
Three years ago: The Place to Be

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.