Friday, March 5, 2021

Pokémon First-Generation Drink Bottle

Years ago, I purchased a Pikachu bottle with a neat component (a freezable insert) to it. While I haven't had a chance to use it as intended, that is still an intent that I'd like to follow through at some point. In the meantime, I've found another similar piece of merchandise that makes for a fine discussion as well as a good addition to my collection. Like the previous bottle, I hesitated somewhat to purchase it, this time not because of the price but because of the best opportunity to purchase it, and I finally purchased it the other day.


This is likewise another bottle for drinks (water, juice, tea, what-have-you) that features Pokémon. Specifically, it's a first-generation bottle because it has an image of a number of selected first-generation Pokémon. There are actually two versions of this bottle with the same body, being one with a flip-top lid and one without. I chose the former because it fits better with the overall color scheme of the bottle - they're both blue - and it fits my needs. It also has to be admitted that the bottles being sold are a little disheveled, and I attempted to choose the one that was the least disheveled to preserve its overall quality over time.

There are plenty of differences between this bottle and the previous one, apart from the colors (blue versus red). The body of this one seems to be sturdier, which is a nice plus, but the capacity is decreased (450 ml or about 15.2 fl oz), which is a bit of a minus. Instead of a ring and carabiner, the lid has a long hook strap, which might demand different usage methods as well. Though the bottle doesn't advertise it, it actually has a nifty inner feature: a strainer that can hold back chunky objects like ice or other solids, which should refine the drinking experience. Also, while the other bottle was made by a local company with Pokémon licensing, it appears that this bottle was made for the Japanese market before being imported, perhaps along with other Japanese goods, as that is exactly where it was present where I bought it.

Despite being smaller in capacity, this bottle might get some frequent use due to its current state. Whether or not that is the case, the bottle is still a nice piece of Pokémon merchandise, especially now that it's in my hands. Likewise with the other bottle, I am privileged as a fan to be able to have something functional to use while showing off my Pokémon influences.

Three years ago: Being a Pokétaku
Four years ago: I'm Swept Away

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.