Thursday, December 23, 2021

2021 Pokémon Center Merchandise Highlights

As with discussions (or, in a way, "highlights") of previous figure lines, I received word about the figure line from the Pokémon Center e-mail newsletter. It has always been a great way to get in the know about certain Pokémon merchandise, even ones that I may not have access to purchase. That includes a few scattered kinds of Pokémon merchandise that I have been informed of and consider interesting but cannot discuss at length in a single blog post for each kind. With this time nearing the end of the year, I thought I'd round up some of the ones I feel are attractive and highlight all of them in a single post.

For those who love plants and the process of growing them, they might like the Pokémon Gardening line. This line involves a few kinds of planters to facilitate growing the plants as well as statues to decorate the place wherever the plants might be, which would most likely be in a garden. Of these, I'm taken with the Squirtle Planter and the Male Pikachu Statue, the latter because I consider it a reflection of myself and the former because it could serve as a reminder that I need to water my plants. I'm actually not an avid gardener myself, but I can see these being great for any plants I grow.

Every house needs things that make it a home, and for Pokémon fans, Pokémon Home Accents might just be able to help in this department. Many of the items in this line involve objects of comfort (including pillows and throws) that feature a subtle Pikachu motif, as well as others with an Unown motif. For items that are more evidently Pokémon, there are wall light boxes and bean bag chairs, including ones for Snorlax (both) and Ditto (bean bag chair only). I love the throw pillows and mugs, as well as the Pikachu wall light box; I can already see places in my home where I'd like to put them.

Dipping back into the spooks of two months earlier, some merchandise items have featured black-and-white illustrations by Vic Lee that contain specific Pokémon in spooky settings. They have been featured as mini figures with their respective Pokémon, T-shirts, wall art pieces, and true to their form as posters. The ones with Drifloon and Banette are enticing to me, though the one with Mimikyu is also passable, given how I sometimes obtain merchandise featuring this imitative Pokémon. The settings look appropriate and detailed for the respective Pokémon and may just hint at their backstories, which I like.

One last line of merchandise items to be highlighted is actually quite important, as it relates to the big anniversary that in a month or two is about to pass by. That would be the Pokémon Celebration Parade figures, which is a special series of figures to commemorate this big anniversary. The figures depict starter Pokémon across eight generations based on themes rather than types or chronology, and they can all be arranged in a row to illustrate the grand parade. If I could have just one, I'd like the Grand Marshal Pikachu figure, but all the others are festive enough that I could see myself possessing them as well.

I'm always impressed whenever the Pokémon Center newsletter e-mail comes in and I get a chance to browse through Pokémon merchandise that I may or may not be able to obtain. The collection is always extensive, even in this year of the major anniversary along with other difficulties, so I'm not always able to get into each kind at length and note as many of their characteristics as possible. However, I can round them up for a highlight, just as with the above for some interesting lines and items from this year. Even with just bits and pieces, they can encapsulate the breadth that is Pokémon merchandise.

Two years ago: December for Love
Four years ago: Perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.