Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Still Otaku, Yet Separate

Next on the convention discussion agenda is the discussion of one of its entertainment parts - specifically, a certain musical band. Evidently, that band is Otaku Band, whom I'm well acquainted and have gotten to perform in collaboration a few times. Now, though, the situation is different: the band technically still exists, but it's no longer as I (have come to) know it. This is, of course, in contrast to the substance of the band as it most pertains to me and my Pokémon experiences.

The last time I sung with them on the Mezase Pokémon Master "do-over" was essentially the last time I interacted with them as they were. The last time they performed as they were was at a convention I couldn't go to, and by report, they also performed a "consummate" song - not related to Pokémon, but something else that I have a minor interest in - which I myself happened to perform somewhat later. It seems that we really do identify ourselves, at least in part, as the titular word of the band.

As a concession, the band did perform at the previous CHoCoDays, with what I'm told was their "original" lineup, before I got to know them as I know them. That is why Ash couldn't recognize them at first glance, since they weren't as we know them. Then, they also used a different logo that didn't contain the kana in their more recognizable logo as I know them. I'm also told that the members who I know now essentially are busy with their own things and may not be able to reform as I know.

Regardless, we still do have a soft spot for each other, even if there may not be a chance to get together again. The last pictures taken of us all together, which happened to be during the convention with the "do-over" performance as above, indicates at least some warmth and camaraderie - not the least it was because I had Ash with the Sinnoh outfit, as the very first one I had for the first witness of their performance over a decade ago. It was a "modern return" in a figurative sense.

Ash: I see. This explains everything.

Me: Well, yes. But we did have a great time with them while they were still around.

Goh: I can see that. Still, it's amazing that you two got the chance to link up like this.

Ash: And sing, thanks to our friend.

Pikachu: Pika chu pika! ["It's so awesome!"]

Me: At first, I didn't know it would ever happen, but after many years, it happened.

Goh: You saw through your vision. That's what made it happen.

Me: Thanks, that's absolutely true.

Ash: I guess we'll keep on singing even in our hearts.

Pikachu: Pika chu~ [vocalizing]

Me: And they'll be in our hearts too.

Being one of the bands that helped to instill my advancement in singing, especially in the realm of conventions, Otaku Band will remain special for that reason, even if the form may be different now and a return to the earlier form might be nearly impossible to bring about. My dealings with singing (especially with involvement of Pokémon songs) will continue for as long as possible, and the spirit of Otaku Band will always be present in that, even if not physically, and certainly never separate.

Four years ago: Hobby as a Partner
Six years ago: Quirky Raids
Seven years ago: Secret Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.