Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Daisuki! Japan Fest in Memoriam

OK, it's about a week before my self-proclaimed "cosplay anniversary", and I want to touch on some matters related to conventions, my going there, and of course Pokémon as the overarching topic of this blog. One of those matters concerns a local convention I attend that has lasted many years (with a minor name change in later ones)... and as the title suggests, now it is no more, and is confirmed as such. It's a big matter, almost on par with another "in memoriam" convention I covered many years ago, so I have to address it.

At its last edition last year, I wasn't able to confirm it fully myself, but throughout the year, and most importantly through last year's CHoCoDays, that is confirmed to be the case. Japan Culture Daisuki, the organizer, states that phasing out this convention is part of the effort of creating a "new image" through the promotion of its other conventions and conception of new ones. It's a wondrous vision, especially if I could still be a part of that vision while I bring my agenda of promoting Pokémon in the included conventions.

Still, the phased-out convention remains memorable for some people, even winning the award of "Most Weeb Convention" at the Weeb's Choice Awards, where I (with Ash) won an award myself. Further, some people - including I myself - regard the last edition as having ended on a "bittersweet" note due to goings-on in and around the convention, which evidently cannot be made up properly because... it was the last, obviously, and other conventions (especially by way of the award above) don't measure up or haven't done so.

Personally, I've sometimes imagined the creation of a "Pokémon edition" of the convention with the inclusion of some Pokémon elements in the schedule, content, or wherever. It makes sense even now, now that Pokémon Go Community Day meetups are a thing of itself, and could be integrated in it. Even so, the role of thematic conventions now seems to be taken up (more appropriately, succeeded) by Utsuru, another JCD product, so even without DJF, this could still work, depending on the whim of JCD.

Me: And now that "the Meowth is out of its bag", we have to discuss it too.

Ash: I already thought that was the case. I still feel a little sad.

Pikachu: Pika pika chu. ["I thought so too."]

Ash: But all of it was fun when you sent me there, so I'm happy about that too.

Goh: See, that's a big thing. I mean, I wasn't around when this first came up, but I think you've hit it off OK.

Me: So we'll make things work, even with the "new image" of JCD.

Goh: And if it somehow ever comes back, then you can have even more new fun that way. 

Ash: Yeah! Things will always work out somehow.

Pikachu: Pi pika! ["I'm with you!"]

Me: I trust that will be the case.

While there may not be further editions of Daisuki! Japan Fest, JCD at least has something going on with that "new image" they're promoting along with new and old conventions alike, and somewhere in there could lie the best of opportunities for promoting Pokémon as well. The memories of DJF will still live on - in part perpetuated by some of the posts on this blog - but there will certainly be new memories along with that "new image", and if that can and does still involve Pokémon, I'm all up for it.

Three years ago: Pokémon Go Tour: Kanto
Four years ago: Living with My Buddy
Five years ago: Poké-Tourism
Six years ago: Pokémon "Cover Songs"
Seven years ago: Venice and Alto Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.