Friday, February 23, 2024

AFA ID Returns

It seems that I have been opening up a "Pandora's box" of quibbles related to conventions in my recent discussions leading up to my "cosplay anniversary", so I have to follow it with something that isn't one; fortunately, I have just that. Years ago, I with the help of Ash noted that it was the last time out for the biggest anime convention in Southeast Asia in my locale, though we also noted the hope that it might return someday. That "someday" is now the present: the convention is slated to return in early May this year.

This return was actually planned much earlier, four years ago, but that plan fell through when the world fell through. Since then, the world has changed - and so did Pokémon, my primary interest and possible "fodder" for this convention - but the interest never waned, and so things came to fruition this year. Of course, the content itself is not likely to change either, and it'll likely be a blend of what was exhibited six years ago, as well as Indonesia Comic-Con from last year and in the years AFA ID itself was absent.

Speaking of "fodder", I also noted previously that I sent Ash a decade ago, when my cosplay experience was only a couple of years in the making and not as fleshed out as it is today. So, an interest to return would be to show how far I've come since then. Above all, the standard goal of interacting with as many people as possible in conventions and whatnot, as well as to keep demonstrating my continued interest in Pokémon in general, still very much applies. That too is pretty much unchanging.

Even so, a plan to return there will likely depend on other Pokémon or convention agendas, or even both. There is also the expense to factor in as well as the usual constraints of traveling to worry about, not to mention steeling myself (and Ash) for the trip. Yet if the content is extremely interesting, especially from a Pokémon standpoint, then it might be worth it to drop certain other matters and go, while still taking care of as many Pokémon matters as possible - which may or may not be an easy undertaking.

Me: OK, so you heard it from me.

Ash: This is awesome! Looks like we were right after all that it could come back one day.

Pikachu: Pi pika chu pika! ["You were so right!"]

Goh: But yeah, getting there would be half the problem.

Me: Or half the fun, depending.

Ash: I understand. So if you can't send me, then I'll know why.

Me: As with IT the other day, I'll keep tabs on this and decide later on if I can send you. 

Ash: Don't worry about it! You'll know for sure.

Pikachu: Pika chu. ["Indeed."]

Goh: If you do get there, I think it's going to be pretty big.

Ash: I know. It might be even bigger than last time!

Me: As big as our hopes.

Hope is indeed the last thing that remains when (a) Pandora's box is opened, and in this case, the return of Anime Festival Asia (AFA) ID this year - with fingers crossed, hopefully - at the least presents a glimmer of that for this longtime cosplayer and Pokémon fan. A few things are still up in the air at this point, but if what happened a decade ago and in the last edition prior to the absence is of any indication, then a return of myself is of the essence as this grand convention heralds its return to well-deserved and waiting fans in my locale.

Two years ago: Good Builds for Unite?
Five years ago: Let's Go Take Pictures
Six years ago: Community Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.