Sunday, February 24, 2019

Don't Forget Our Roots

There's a certain statement that I'm currently taken with. That statement more or less reads "we must not forget from where we came", which when loosely summarized becomes the title for this post. It so happens that currently I'm absorbed in something that became my past, long before I discovered Pokémon, so this statement becomes rather appropriate considering what I've been doing, especially in relation to Pokémon.

Before I got to like Pokémon, there were several things that I liked, including the one above; I won't discuss them now, but I'll do so once they become specifically pertinent. Today, I still maintain a close relationship with some of those things, while I've become distanced with others. But whether they are near or far, it's hard to deny that these things nurtured a sense of appreciation that I now have greatly for Pokémon. I may or may not be able to make them work with or complement Pokémon, but I might be able to draw parallels from them and use them for reciprocal understanding.

Some of these things also have some role to play in instilling a sense of adventure. To go through one thing to another and yet another before achieving something is certainly a part of any adventure, and I effectively learned to understand that. In a way, Pokémon provided further cohesion to that sense of adventure, leading to a deeper understanding; applying it back to those things - at least the ones I'm still close with - only leads to further understanding of them. They provided the basics, and Pokémon lent something greater.

If nothing else, those things provided amusement. Even if I didn't fully understand their course or appreciation was rather lacking, at least there was a feeling of delight. Delight was also something I experienced with Pokémon, though it did wane a bit before becoming firmly established. My delight is now predominantly for Pokémon, but to some of those things, there is at least a small amount of delight that remain, enough to venture back briefly to those things, as I have done recently.

Appreciation, adventure, amusement - they've been a part of what I enjoyed way back when, before Pokémon came about. It's hard not to forget about past things when there are still elements of these, and perhaps it shouldn't be that way, at least not completely. The statement I mentioned at the beginning seems to ring true in a way, which explains my current fascination with it. It satisfies my liking of other things, but also my liking of Pokémon most of all.

One year ago: Pokémon Go Community Day, 2/24/2018
Two years ago: Memories of Johto

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.