Thursday, December 12, 2019

Sword and Shield Uptake

As with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon two years ago and the Let's Go games a year ago, I have to make a post covering the uptake of the newest main series games, which would be Sword and Shield at the moment. Like the past two games, I have not received the game as of the time that the post was made, but because they've set a precedent, it is OK. In fact, that may be a good thing, because by making the post, I may end up outlining what I'm missing, which will inspire me to obtain the games - or at least just one, for which my choice is already definite. But that's for another time, when it happens.

For now, it's worth noting that I've tried to delay this post for as long as possible so I could obtain more information to make it. The previous posts were made somewhat closer to the release date, and I feel that may not have allowed for much input. But this post is closer to one month after its release, so there should be at least a few more insights that I can include from over the course of that time. And it seems that may be the case, given the observations I've been able to make regarding its uptake.

These observations are based on my main series group, my figure group, and to some extent even my raid group. The first one is where the most action is expected, and that seems to be very much the case. Having lagged during the later period of the 3DS games, my main series group has been abuzz with activity after its release. A chat group for the group, in fact, ballooned with new members, many of them seeking players to join in online Max Raid Battles, in addition to the usual requests for trades and practice battles as per main series games of yore. Altogether, they're activities that have not been seen en masse since a few years ago, at which point the group was smaller by comparison. That activity has clearly indicated uptake by the interested players.

Meanwhile, in my figure group, only a few have the game and the console, but those who do are interested to play. That is why the gathering which I missed last week was in collaboration with a gaming group; it is specifically with a Nintendo Switch group, who may have Pokémon players, though not necessarily figure collectors. Based on the picture report from that gathering, there seems to be many enthusiastic players. I can't say the same, however, for my raid group, despite the fact that some possess the Switch; the bleaker situation is that most don't. They all seem content to go on with Go, and specifically for those who have the Switch, the Let's Go games, which are most likely in possession. With these two groups, the uptake seems to be hit-or-miss.

While there are no explicit positive statements nor negative complaints among those who I've observed playing, the fact that they keep playing seems to have little bearing on the deficiencies of the games and only highlights their more positive aspects. This too is what seems to draw more people into playing the games, thereby increasing its uptake. As for my uptake, I've stated that this will be for another time, and that's what I expect to happen. Eventually, I will have to play as I am a Pokémon fan at heart, but that will have to wait on different things. In the meantime, covering the uptake of the game by others seems satisfactory, until the point where it becomes my uptake.

One year ago: Much Ado About Figures
Two years ago: The Rainbow Feather of Ho-Oh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.