Friday, October 22, 2021

Just Waiting on an Absol

In the recent few days, I've experienced a few happenings that could be construed as "heading towards disaster", because if the happenings were to be furthered, then they would lead to a disaster. Something that Pokémon fans know about disasters is that they are sometimes linked to (the presence of) a particular Pokémon known as Absol. There's a certain misunderstanding that people of both the real and Pokémon worlds have about this, but that's for later on in the post, as I wish to discuss the happenings first.

Midway through the week, my neighborhood experienced power outages. One occurred near the middle of the night and lasted over an hour, and another happened two days later in the afternoon. In the former case, I was finishing up some relevant affairs, while in the latter I was preparing for other affairs. Fortunately, the affairs could be resolved without the outages affecting them deeply. If Absol had arrived, then I could have tried to stave off some of the effects of the outages, reducing their impacts.

One of my friends then was terribly affected by malicious circumstances (thus, a disaster) and nearly affected others who are close to my friend, including of course myself, with the same circumstances. I've held off communicating with my friend until things can be fully sorted out and we are able to communicate safely. The moment the disaster to my friend happened, it seemed that an Absol was present to remind me that things appear to be terribly wrong, and I rightfully heeded the reminder, preventing further disaster.

Now, the misunderstanding that many people have about Absol is that the Pokémon is considered the cause of disasters, whether appearing before or after them. Yet this is a "post hoc ergo propter hoc" situation, as the proper understanding is that Absol is the warner of disasters rather than their progenitor. Still, because many people identify the Pokémon as being closely associated with disasters, it gets its reputation and species moniker out of the misunderstanding, mistaken belief, and logical fallacy above. 

These past few days, some things have not been kind in some ways, whether to me or others related to me; they are effectively disasters, whether minor or major. I don't need an Absol to tell me that, but in some circumstances, I'd like to tell conclusively or at the least get a hint that disaster is imminent by way of an Absol, or even a semblance of the Pokémon. And thus my life progresses, hopefully better without disasters... and if one is about to come, maybe an Absol could tell me as I wait for its appearance in uncertain times.

Three years ago: Resilience
Four years ago: Cosplay: Arigatoo...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.