Thursday, January 19, 2023

Loot from Pokémon Festival Jakarta

Speaking of things that are long overdue, it wouldn't be right if I went to Pokémon Festival Jakarta but didn't come back with some Pokémon goodies, merchandise, or "loot". As such, I had to make sure that I came back with at least something, and I did; actually, I came back with quite a few things, some of them significant. I actually wanted to discuss them earlier, but there were already a few goings-on both related and unrelated to Pokémon that I had to attend to, so the discussion had to wait. Now that time permits, I can make the discussion and show just what I came back with as my "loot".


I wanted to come back with something that was truly usable and not just a piece of static memorabilia, and clothing became one way to realize that. Fortunately, the festival had a range of clothing options available for purchase, and I took up the most unique and representative. On the far left is the Pokémon Festival Jakarta official shirt in white, which was the most plentiful and representative with the festival logo, and thus it was necessary to get it. Next to it is a Mega Charizard Y jacket, which is less representative but extremely unique; not shown is the Pokémon emblazoned on its back side. I had to think before getting the latter of these items, and it became a snap decision, one that I (may) slightly regret but still happily enjoy. I've actually indicated possession of both of these items, as I wore them during Community Day earlier; it is only now that I can formally show them off, and as in many cases, "better late than never", even way after the event.

Of course, I still wanted a couple of "just memorabilia" items, and those are in the form of the notebook and the lanyard beside the clothing items. The blue notebook fulfills the purpose with the promotional scenery image, which I got in lieu of a second shirt with the very same image, making it representative. The orange lanyard at the bottom meanwhile is just plainly unique, with its orange color and the featuring of Pikachu and the starters from Paldea; a friend tells me that the lanyard is extremely characteristic because of that, and therefore it is justified to be obtained. I love both of these items regardless and would have gotten them if nothing else as something convenient.

The rest of the items on the right are "freebies" - given to me as they are, with no cost - but I still consider them "loot" nonetheless. There are the two promotional cards, the special double half trial decks, and even the flyer. The cards, specifically the Pikachu card, were obtained from completing game challenges on the flyer, one each for the TCG, Pokémon Go, and Pokémon Unite, and as noted earlier, if I had done the TCG challenge twice more, I would also have gotten an Eevee card, but time was too short for this purpose. The trial decks could be used by two people for a half-length battle, as in the TCG challenge, and I'd like to keep them for that purpose and as a teaching tool - even though I technically could peruse both as a full deck to challenge someone else. Lastly, the flyer is a given, yet it also contains the record of my challenges, and so needs to be kept as such. They all deserve to be kept for prosperity.

Another thing that I'd like to say is that I incurred one of the Four Notions in obtaining the non-freebie items - in other words, I splurged for them, with the jacket taking up over half of what I spent in total for all those items. This situation also played a part in the snap decision I had to make to get the items. In this case, it is somewhat warranted, however, because a friend suggested that the festival is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and who knows if or when there would be another one like this. This was the rationale for making the trip there (and sending Ash) in the first place, and it comes back to support my decision to get all the items that I got above. And I dare say it makes for a nice write-up as well, with how this post on those items is turning out.

Many things did happen at the festival, and much effort (by me particularly) was spent to get there, so it makes sense that I wanted to bring back the things that really bring pieces of the festival back and keep it present for as long as possible, even long after the festival has ended. All of the above things achieve that objective in different ways, but the Pokémon spirit for all of them is the same and plentiful. I'd say the festival remains here with me where I am with them, and that's not long overdue either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.