Friday, January 20, 2023

Getting Refreshed with Pokémon Drinks

Collaborations with various companies that provide food is nothing new nor uncommon for Pokémon (in fact, there's a more recent one, but now is not yet the time to discuss that). However, collaborations with companies that provide drinks may be considered as novel and extraordinary. Such is the case for a couple of these recent collaborations with drink companies in my local region, resulting in a few unique products with a Pokémon feel and a refreshing taste.


First up is the Inaco I'm Coco, which is a brand of coconut water that features bits of coconut jelly. This product is nothing new (or unique) as far as drink products go, but the company had chosen to market the product with Pokémon, most likely to appeal to its recent popularity. I chose to have the original flavor as shown above, which is marketed with Seadra; there are other flavors, but this is a product I only enjoy in its "original" incarnation. And this particular one is quite good, even if it is somewhat on the sweet side. While the Pokémon aspect almost seems to be an afterthought, the effort to promote this particular product seems laudable.

Then there are two products from the international drink chain Chatime: the Pikachu Milk Ball and the Charizard Orange Tea. The latter is a green tea drink with orange flavor, a lot of which comes through an orange marmalade mixer, while the former is a milky pineapple drink with pineapple jam as its mixer (think pina colada, but with regular milk and caramel notes). I've had both drinks, and I find the orange tea uplifting and perfect for a hot day, while the milk drink is energy-dense and neatly enjoyable on its own; they're appropriate to the Pokémon species they identify with. Actually, there is a third drink, the Mewtwo Berry Tea, but I'm not a big fan of berry flavors, so I've ignored this one.

I already drank the drinks, you see,
and these empty glasses belong to me.

For the Chatime drinks, they come in special collectible glasses that feature different Pokémon on them, two of which I possess as above. The glass tops are unique, being in the shape of a Premier Ball, and the large straw is inserted where the button for the ball is. They're supposed to be appropriate to the Pokémon species being featured, but in my experience, I got the left one (the all-Pokémon one) for the orange tea, and the right (Charizard) one for the milk ball. There are certainly other glasses, but I'm currently not feeling up to try my luck - and spend more - on those rich drinks.

Considering all the drinks above, the Pokémon promotional aspect could be considered as "gimmicky" - in particular and especially so for the coconut water drink above - but they seem to just work, promotionally speaking. They got me to try these drinks, which I wouldn't normally do, and I may just continue to try them even after the Pokémon promotion has disappeared. In that sense, the collaborations are novel indeed, and the reward is quite refreshing for a thirsty soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.