Sunday, August 25, 2024

Let's Talk About Temples in Our Lives

Me: This discussion may or may not have anything to do with certain Pokémon happenings, but I think it's still in good form to make it as such.

Goh: Well, I guess we can tell. So what's on your mind?

Me: Today I want to talk about temples - you know, places that are dedicated to certain spirits and look impressive.

Ash: Yeah - I think we know what you're getting at.

Me: Those are of the literal kind, but we could also talk about them figuratively, like, um...

Pikachu: Pika chu! [points to head]

Me: Well, like that. Anyway, let's get on with the discussion.

Goh: You know, I can think of a region with a few temples in it.

Ash: Let me guess... Johto?

Goh: I think you know what I'm talking about.

Ash: Like Ilex Forest, right? With the shrine...

Goh: For Celebi, of course. And based on what I've been told, the Dragon's Cave in the north could be considered one too.

Ash: I think you're right on that one.

Me: What about Mt. Silver? The big mountain to the east?

Goh: I've heard of a certain person being there all the time. It's like... it's now his shrine.

Ash: The mountain top is also really cold, so as you say, it's like a "temple" for Ice types.

Me: So, somewhat figuratively. Getting back to literal ones, there's also the Tin Tower.

Ash: Oh, I almost forgot about that one!

Goh: And that would be for Ho-Oh.

Pikachu: Pi pika. ["Surely."]

Me: It's certainly a temple by any stretch of the word. Now, Pikachu earlier indicated the head and that is indeed another interpretation of "temple" - as a part of it.

Ash: We use it all the time!

Goh: And that would mean we have to keep it safe.

Ash: Like from Aipom throwing fruits at us.

Goh: How about a simpler example: when you ride a bike and wear a helmet?

Ash: Oh, yeah! I remember an Ampharos riding in the back of a motorcycle wearing a red one.

Goh: Sure, that works.

Me: Thinking about that, I got one today similar to that for our own use, maybe when I send you to conventions and such.

Goh: That's interesting.

Ash: I think it looks neat - we'll definitely use it with our friends!

Pikachu: Pi, pika chu. ["Yeah, that will work."]

Me: I also played a little game today that could involve little "temples" of things... but you don't need to know about that.

Ash: I think I can tell what it is, but as you say.

Goh: It looks to be very figurative, though.

Me: Yeah, I guess. Back to Johto, we could say it's a "region of temples" - much like a certain region in my world.

Ash: Hey, didn't you mention it a few years ago?

Me: Well, that would be this one, then.

Goh: Oh wow! Yup, that's a real temple, all right.

Me: I'd love to send Ash actually in person for certain events - and I actually could have - but I want to save that for when a better opportunity comes... and when funds are actually saved for that.

Ash: That's OK - we'll wait for you.

Me: As for temples, though, there are some in my local area, so we can do with that.

Goh: But they're not necessarily for sending Ash.

Me: No, but other opportunities might arise. And... we've gone on long enough about this, so let me say this to wrap up: temples are an important part of our lives, and they make them nice too.

Goh: We can say that for Pokémon ones and real ones.

Ash: And the ones on our heads!

Pikachu: Pika. ["Well put."]

Me: It's a point to be respected, if only even a little through our discussion now.

Four years ago: The Principle of Life
Five years ago: Expecting the Cards
Six years ago: PokéMusicians

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.