Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Mythical Numbers?

Some years ago, I was introduced to a neat (and perhaps in some ways coincidental) observation about Mythical Pokémon by one of my Pokémon colleagues. It concerns how they relate to their respective generations, specifically their generation number. Observe:


These Pokémon have parts of their anatomies that suggest their generation number as expressed in Roman numerals. Mew has one tail, therefore I; Celebi has two eyelashes, therefore II; Jirachi has three tags, therefore III; Phione has a strand that looks like an I and Manaphy has two that look like a V, forming IV; and Victini obviously has its V-shaped head. It's an observation that had eluded me in all my years of appreciating Pokémon and took me a bit of time to realize after my colleague had hinted about it to me.

After years of letting it sit (and letting new generations appear), I shared this observation with my figure group. Some of them seemed as surprised as I was when I discovered this observation for the first time, and we began wondering about this and the connection with later generations. Several chats later, it seemed that the best fit for Generation VI would be Diancie with its V-shaped lower body and I-shaped upper body, and for Generation VII would be Magearna with its eyelashes shaped like V on the left and II on the right. The discussion also spilled into other features of other Pokémon that indicate their generation number.

On the whole, this observation is fascinating. Whether or not it is coincidental is another matter, but seeing how plain the features are in the above image, it seems it's just meant to be. That could explain why my figure group also wanted to find the connections to the newer generations. However it could continue to apply, the initial observation remains true, as something that indicates just how numerical some Pokémon can be.

One year ago: To Watch a Movie
Two years ago: Like a Fierce Double Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.