Friday, March 15, 2024

Loot (or Not) from Pikachu's Indonesia Journey in Bali

It's been a couple of weeks since that grand and "breakthrough" Pokémon event on the Island of Paradise, which I had the chance to attend through (and with) Ash as a proxy. I have just been reminded that I did get a few things out of it that I can and should discuss in a post, so I've decided to take a post to do just that. They're usually the things that I would consider "merchandise" or "loot" (and for this blog, they are classified as the former nonetheless), yet in some ways they are also not as such. It's a strange duality, but I have to take it in stride anyhow, especially for this post.

I should note that there was actual merchandise for sale - yes, in the park, but still under tents - but even early on there were already lots of people lined up for it, it was more than I was willing to spend even with my being there, and then there was the Pokémon Go dealings, which did indeed take up most of the time there. In a way, I feel both justification and regret (at this point) that I couldn't get the merchandise, especially for the purpose of sharing and discussing it here, but that was the way things went - fait accompli. I proceed with the things that I did get and can demonstrate here.


So, those things are the postcard with Pikachu and the Bali background, the Pikachu visor, and most importantly the promotional TCG card featuring the Pikachu with the batik shirt. The first of these was obtained from the Pokémon Go booth, and the latter two were obtained from the registration booth, both at the park where the event was being held. The visor might be considered typical, as it's just a paper visor, but the postcard is definitely unique and the TCG card, while obtainable somewhere else, could be difficult in that regard. It can be said that all of these were fortunate to be gained here of all places.

Sometimes, some things just deserve to be explained as best as they can, whether or not they meet certain criteria, as the items above, with regard to their "merchandise" or "loot" status. Yet considering how they were gotten through a special place and through special means for those who came, it may be that the criteria are met even to a minor extent. With much of that day being devoted to other tasks and agendas, merchandise was definitely the last thing to be taken care of - and now, to be discussed. Still, the items are extraordinary for a weekend that was no less than that.

Four years ago: Cosplay: IAM COSPLAYCON
Seven years ago: A Psyduck Headache

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.