Sunday, December 17, 2023

Pokémon Go Community Day Weekend, 12/16/2023 and 12/17/2023

Like in previous years, the final Community Day of the year is a recap affair with this year's and last year's featured Pokémon. The way it works this year is (or by now in my area, was) also quite similar to last year. At that time, I outlined the particulars in discussion form with Ash and Goh, but there might have been a few particulars that could seem to have been missed by being put in that form. This year, I've chosen to outline everything normally to get another perspective on things - moreover, since today I took care of things normally.

For its structure, the whole thing began yesterday at 9 AM and ended at 9 PM today. All featured Pokémon of this year appeared in the wild during those hours, including those of this year's five Classic editions. Meanwhile, all featured Pokémon of last year (minus those of the Classic editions) appeared in one-star raids and 2 km Eggs; regarding the former, if last year they appeared along with other regular raids, this year only those raids appeared in the style of previous paid events or Raid Days, almost completely dominating Gyms throughout the day, which should have provided some opportunity to catch them if needed. Regardless, all special moves of all of the applicable Pokémon became available yesterday and today at those times when respectively evolved to the forms that get those moves, along with trade bonuses (an extra Special Trade and discounted trades).

During the "main hours" of the event, which by now has been established as between 2 PM and 5 PM, things were a little different. Pokémon from this year's editions primarily appeared during those times, with those from January to May (Chespin, Noibat, Slowpoke and Galarian Slowpoke, Togetic, and Fennekin) appearing yesterday and those from June to November (Axew, Poliwag, Froakie, Grubbin, Timburr, and Wooper and Paldean Wooper) appearing today. Those of this year's Classic editions (Charmander, Squirtle, Larvitar, Swinub, and Mareep) also appeared more frequently in the last 10 minutes of each of those hours and sporadically outside of that. The slew of all other expected bonuses (double XP, Stardust, Candy, and Candy XL chance, as well as halved hatching distance and extended Lure Modules and Incense) were also in effect.

In the realm of Research, a Timed Research set provided encounters with all featured Pokémon from this year and last year as a supplement or alternative, as well as three King's Rocks (for evolving Slowpoke to Slowking) and a Magnetic Lure Module (for evolving Charjabug to Vikavolt). As usual, a paid Special Research set (titled "December Community Day 2023") was available for purchase, with the rewards being supplemental items for these two days, complete with Professor Willow reminiscing not only of Community Day but also of past happenings this year. Field Research was of the usual "catch-3" type, specific to all featured Pokémon. Capping the entire thing off was stickers from all previous editions this years through usual means, as well as Showcases of certain Pokémon on both days.

As I've mentioned, today I was just being myself to take care of things. Of course, the other day, Ash did have something to do and took care of things for me as a result, and that at least can be discussed together, along with Goh.

Me: So, yes, this was what happened yesterday before I sent Ash to the event.

Goh: I see. It all makes perfect sense now. Especially the way you explained things above.

Me: Well, that's the purpose of why I keep doing this.

Ash: Yeah! So that's what I did before going to the event. I met up with your friends and got you something real nifty by bringing things from some of the last times.

Me: Oh nice! That's exactly what I needed you to do, and there was time before the event, so it just had to be done. So thank you, and I'll explain that something later, I think.

Ash: No problem! Glad I could help.

Pikachu: Pika chu! ["You're welcome!"]

Me: OK, since you had to leave early the other day, you didn't get to be in the group picture that day, but I got in for myself today.


Ash: That's neat! I like your shirt. I wish I had one.

Goh: Don't we all. By the way, what else did you do yesterday for this?

Ash: I just caught a few Pokémon and evolved some of the extras that you had. I think we did a good job of evolving this year, so there wasn't much to do. 

Me: I think so too. I took care of the rest today and we seem to be all set. If anything happens in the future, at least I have the tools for that.

Goh: Great stuff.

Me: Indeed. With the way things go for Community Day, I might need to count on Ash at some points in the future to help take care of things for that.

Ash: Don't worry - we've got this! We'll help each other when we need to.

Pikachu: Pi pika. ["Of course."]

Me: For sure. Thanks again.

Community Day always has certain dynamics to it, especially in some of the past years with a certain commotion and irregularity. Yet after that, it seems regularity has prevailed, and that has become evident with this recap edition as well as that of last year. It too is always nice to have multiple perspectives, in particular from my own and sometimes from the discussions that I make with Ash and Goh. Given the constant multitudinous nature of the event, any and all points of it - especially with its own individual coverage - is still welcome.

Two years ago: Pokémon Lectures?
Three years ago: Quibbles with Candy XL
Five years ago: Raid Dramas
Six years ago: Hoenn Pokémon Are Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.