Sunday, January 7, 2024

Cosplay: Isshoni Tanoshimimashou 18 - Shinka

Goh: Oh, so this happened.

Me: Indeed it did. Yesterday and today.

Ash: Yeah!

Pikachu: Pika! ["Yes!"]

Me: Right, so we've already covered the backstory for this the last time it happened. This time, though... there are changes. Lots of changes.

Goh: It looks like it's still two days - so what happened?

Me: For starters, they shoved off the school competitions into its own thing, but still under the IT banner. And they all took place a few months ago, apparently.

Goh: So if that happened... then what happened yesterday?

Me: A lot of things, some expected and pleasant and others unexpected and not so pleasant. We'll get to those shortly. And most importantly...

Ash: The place changed! It's not at your place of study anymore.

Me: Unfortunately, yes. I've been hearing that the students had to take things outside for certain reasons, so while it may still be their festival, it's not at their "home" anymore.

Goh: That must be disappointing for you.

Ash: I agree. I guess for me too...

Pikachu: Pika... ["And me..."]

Me: Pretty much. Anyway, the new place isn't really known for hosting festivals like these, so it may be the first one on record.

Ash: But it was so nice! I think a lot of people like it.

Goh: Maybe the people who own it would like to host their own someday.

Me: That may or may not happen, but at least the idea is out there. So, how did it go yesterday?

Ash: I got there a bit late. But I heard someone filled in for me.

Me: Oh yes. I did fill in the morning by sending someone special for a purpose, so you also get free entry.

Goh: Who could that be?

Me: Hmm... maybe a straw hat could be involved.

Ash: Oh! I get it. But I did find out that all the competitions were yesterday...

Me: Yes, that's another unfortunate change. I had that special person fill in for the singing competition, and it seems that went fine. I was going to have Ash in the character parade, but...

Goh: I have the schedule, and Ash wasn't going to make it to Community Day if that happened.

Ash: Yeah, and the sky was already gray and dripping just before I left for that.

Me: I heard from my network of friends -character and otherwise - that it started to rain after you leave and that the character competitions experienced delays. So it was a good call and a lucky break we pulled out and you left. All the same, I'm a little disappointed we couldn't make it happen this time, especially with your Journeys outfit.

Goh: So that's the reason. You know, based on what happened with Community Day, you two seem to have had better luck there.

Ash: Maybe - it almost didn't rain there at all, and when I got back, it wasn't raining too.

Me: While I can't guarantee anything, there may or may not have been any chance of getting anything with the possible judge lineup. And... I heard from our special person that he couldn't make a win happen for the singing competition.

Ash: That's a bummer. But at least I got a picture with one of the guests when I got back!

Me: Oh! Lucky you - and us. Of course, there was a reason I needed you to go back. You were to meet with a musical group we know very well.

Ash: It's Maestoso Band!

Goh: Does that mean... you performed together?

Ash: YES!!


Pikachu: PIKA CHU!! ["VERY NICE!!"]

Goh: Awesome!

Ash: We performed "Mezase Pokémon Master", just like last time.

Me: Look at that - we get to start off this year with a bang. We prepared this just as last year ended.

Ash: And I think it turned out really good too!

Goh: I can't wait to find out our friend's take on this one.

Me: Trust me - if it comes up, I'll be on it.

Ash: I spent the rest of the evening with the band. I was only able to hear the music for the rest of the dance groups while that happened.

Goh: That's pretty nice. OK, so what happened today, and how did you get in?

Ash: A friend of our friend gave a ticket, so it was free.

Me: Note that friend didn't want to attend, so the ticket went to us so we could use it.

Ash: The festival was like yesterday, but the morning had community performances from our friend's place of study.

Goh: That's neat.

Ash: I then saw our podcast band.

Me: Which would be a friend of the band you just performed with, so that's pretty nice.

Ash: I saw a dance group, but then I got caught in the rain and stuck in a community booth. But the people there are pretty nice - they're the one with all the character vehicles.

Goh: Interesting. How were the communities in general?

Ash: They were neat, but maybe some of them felt cast out? They and food stands were far from the entrance.

Goh: I can understand that feeling. Well, the rain had to let up - how were things after that?

Ash: The dance group continued after stopping, and then they had a fire dance and DJ after a break. And that was it.

Goh: Didn't you see the fashion show on the schedule here?

Ash: I think I missed it. Probably because of getting caught in the rain.

Goh: I suppose it can't be helped.

Me: OK, so what do or would you think about the festival overall?

Ash: I think it was great - at least for what you got me to do! But... there was something missing...

Goh: Well, it must be because of the place, like we talked earlier.

Me: Who knows if they'll ever resolve this. As a side note, this edition was subtitled "shinka", which means "evolution", a concept we're all too familiar with.

Goh: So it "evolved", not necessarily for the better.

Ash: But we did that too! Kinda, sorta...

Pikachu: Pi pika chu. ["In a way."]

Me: No doubt we did. Maybe we'll have to expect the festival to do the same when it comes back - and we'll do some "evolving" of our own in the meantime.

Two years ago: A Movie-Watching Dream
Three years ago: Previous Plus One
Five years ago: Family Affairs
Six years ago: Rethinking Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.