Thursday, January 18, 2024

Memories of Kanto

I mentioned in my "Memories of Sinnoh" post that the post in the same series for Kanto is missing, and that it would come at an appropriate time. All the species of Kanto are already present in Pokémon Go a long time ago when Mew manifested for the first time through Special Research, so it couldn't be for this fact. Instead, now it has become apparent that the Pokémon anime parted with Ash, which is significant as far as any fan of Pokémon is concerned, including yours truly. Therefore, the time is now as appropriate as any time one could have, and now I see the need to make this post and fill in its missing piece.

Kanto is, of course, the region of the first generation games, and it was also through those games that I got to know Pokémon. I got over the early days of struggling with the Blue version, and that paved the way for enjoyment of Pokémon thereafter. That also meant enjoying the alternate Yellow version as well as the remade Fire Red version that came relatively not too long after each other. As for the Let's Go remake that came much later, the one I chose was the Pikachu version as I had documented earlier... although any further documentation of this will need to wait until I can get back to this game and cement its memories as I had done for all the other games above.

Meanwhile, it is obvious that Ash hails from Kanto, and thus it is his "homeland". I too got to know the Pokémon anime from this early point, and it has obviously been a fascination ever since. Its opening songs - both English and Japanese - are iconic and by now familiar, its characters established tropes that are still present even up to the last moments of Ash's appearance, and its definitively related feature film (movie) is so distinctive that it has been remade in 3D and is as memorable then as it is now. Many of these form the backbones of my past and present Pokémon activities (including band performances and cosplay), which remain as memorable as ever thanks to their associations to elements from this region.

Now, the series of "Memories of" posts is complete from the first region to the most recent  and relatively completed region in Pokémon Go. Even so, this moment came perhaps in a slightly unexpected manner due to the parting of Ash from the anime. What is expected, however, is that memories have been made and will continue to be made as the rest of the regions from the main series that become featured in Pokémon Go complete their rosters and I deal with the anime and the elements I take from them and incorporate into my dealings with Pokémon - certainly from this beginning region and ever onwards.

One year ago: 1000 Species Is Real!!
Two years ago: My Pokémon Identity
Three years ago: Pokémon Body Pillows
Five years ago: Rivalries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi folks! Feel free to comment, but know that I'll be selecting only the most appropriate and relevant comments to appear. Think before you post.